Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

He is a 13 year old Beagle and has started getting nose

Customer Question

He is a 13 year old Beagle and has started getting nose bleeds at night. It is not every night but is becoming more frequent. His eating and activity level has not varied. He is still reasonably happy. He had just completed the 4 week course of cartrophen injections when the nose bleeds started. Could it be a side affect of the injection? What else do you suggest. He is too old to put under for testing!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Beagle's name?
Customer: Ricky
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ricky?
Customer: I don't think so. He is just an old boy with a few lumps and bumps all were tested originally and were only fatty deposits.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Rocky. Regretfully, epistaxis (bloody nose) is most often due to either a cancer in the sinus or nasal cavity at Ricky's advanced age. Thrombocytopenia (decreased blood platelets) due to tick-borne infection, immune-mediated destruction of the blood platelets, and an anticogulant rodenticide poisoning (unlikely if he's been bleeding for a number of weeks) are additional considerations. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is there anything I can do? Why does the bleeding only occur at night?

The timing isn't clear to me. I don't know of any cause of epistaxis restricted to the nightime. There's nothing in a traditional sense that can address such bleeding without first clarifying why it's happening. That would entail checking his bleeding times and platelet count +/- scoping his nose and X-raying or CT of his sinuses. The over the counter Chinese herb yunnan baiyao might be of value in stemming the bleeding. It's available in health food stores, herbalists, or online. Please continue our conversation if you wish.