Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Pomeranian 12 weeks old is losing fur around her eyes and…

My Pomeranian 12 weeks...

My Pomeranian 12 weeks old is losing fur around her eyes and nose and face?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Pomeranian's name?

Lulu

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lulu?

She has had 2 sets of shots and was designed 2 times before I got her and I took her to the vet right when I got her with fecal sample that came back clean

Oops dewormed 2 x before I got her
Her fecal test came back clean
Her face does not seem irritated and she is a good eater and pooper
7/25/2017
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you pls lmk what your thoughts are and how I can send you a pic

Young puppies with areas of fur loss on the face and/or paws that don't seem itchy most commonly have a type of skin mite called Demodex. Demodex mites are not really contagious, all dogs have them, they get them from the bitch soon after birth. In most normal puppies they remain few in number and don't cause any symptoms.

Demodex mites are microscopic and they live deep in the hair follicles. When they proliferate in the follicle they cause the pup's hair to fall out. They don't tend to cause much itchiness unless there is a secondary bacterial infection. We see them most commonly in dogs with weak immune system function, such as young puppies and older dogs with debilitating diseases. Lesions are most common on the face and legs but can be seen anywhere on the body.

http://www.petmd.com/sites/default/files/demodex_019.jpg

http://www.askavetquestion.com/images/demodex.jpg

Diagnosis is via skin scrapings and looking for the mites under the microscope.

If there are just a few small spots even if this is Demodex they may elect not to treat it, but rather to allow her time for her immune system to get it under control and resolve it herself.

If this is Demodex and the infection becomes more widespread then follicle flushing shampoo, like Pyoben, may be recommended and possibly oral ivermectin or Lyme Sulfur dips. In most cases though with time pups are able to resolve small lesions themselves without any needed treatment.

Her veterinarian may put her on a systemic antibiotic, as skin bacterial infections are possible in young puppies, and will complicate Demodex infections.

Best of luck with your little one, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian