PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My boxer got hit by a truck yesterday.. really bad road rash

Customer Question

My boxer got hit by a truck yesterday.. really bad road rash on the inside of his back leg . He ran home from the accident but now he keeps licking it and limping . Should I take him to the vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
A friend of mine has worked for the local vet for several years she came by after it happened and said nothing was broken and he looked fine just the road rash .

Tosha, if he was hit by a truck I would definitely have him checked by your vet for a hands-on examination. and x-rays to rule out a fracture. In addition, he will need prescription pain medication. Do Not give over the counter pain medication most are toxic to dogs. In the meantime, this is what you can do for the road rash:

1- Need to stop him from licking or he is going to delay healing. Pick up an E collar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing the affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to flush the wound 2-3 times a day.

3- After flushing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He isn't whining or anything he just acts like he doesn't feel good . He is eating and drinking and bodily functions are working good .. I'm afraid the cone will never work for him. He is 1 of 3 dogs and left alone during the day while I work. Anything else I can do to make him stop licking it . Also I live a good distance from a pharmacy, any other options on something to use .

I will opt out and allow another expert to comment.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Can you share pictures of the area he's licking?