Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Kingsland Blvd Animal Clinic
94981754

My dog is a mal 6 months old mal shi. He is walking around

Customer Question

My dog is a mal 6 months old mal shi. He is walking around with his mouth open. He has done this for about a week. He is teething ALOT I mean Alot. When he had all of his shots the vet even said he didnt have many teeth and questioned his age. Anyways, Could his pacing be from pain?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no wound
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Cocoa
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cocoa?
Customer: Nothing but he is teething really bad. I can see 2 rows of teeth in some areas.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Meghan Denney replied 3 months ago.

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

Is Cocoa able to close his mouth?

Is he eating normally ?

Teething can cause some discomfort just like in human babies.

Dogs can develop TMJ or strain and fatigue of the jaw joint. If he can close his jaw voluntarily then we do not need to worry about this condition.

Once I know that he can close his mouth on his own without struggle we can talk more about how to help with teething pain but I need to make sure that his jaw is able to open and close normally.

With the information provided it is a high likelihood that his incoming adult teeth are cause him some discomfort and making the urge to chew more intense. You can try freezing rubber toys like the kong toys to help provide some cooling relief for his mouth and offer plenty of chew toys so he does not seek out inappropriate items to chew or destroy (like shoes).

Increasing times of enrichment with play will also help lower the desire to chew.

Longer periods of exercise can also help reduce the chewing.

Raw hides can help as well but you want to make sure you take it away when it gets too small so he does not choke on it.

Good luck with Cocoa

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you.

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

Expert:  Dr. Meghan Denney replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Meghan Denney