Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I came home last Wednesday night to find my dog on the foot

Customer Question
of my bedroom unable to...
I came home last Wednesday night to find my dog on the foot of my bedroom unable to walk and her mouth was all wet and she was disoriented. I took her to the emergency room and the next day to a neurologist but the wanted almost 3000 for an mri, already 2000 into this I didn't have the money to get the mri. they think she could have a disk problem in her back or a brain tumor . I think she had a stroke cause her left leg just dangles but she can move her other feet but she can not stand at all.shes home with me now on steroid therapy since Friday , a little bit of improvement in her moving her legs but still cant stand or walk. she has not had a bowel movement since wed. and she is eating fine. two nights ago she had what looked like a seizure her head was convulsing , teeth chattering and she was screaming. her entire body went limp and it looked like she stopped breathing. I immediately grabbed her and after a minute or so she came to very disoriented. Iam scared and trying everything to help her but I have now run out of money cause I spent everything I have on her. What can I do to help her? Is there some home therapy I can do to help her to walk again?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: shes 9 years old and has been healthy up to this point. She had been hit by a car several years ago and had magor surgery from what I was told that was when she was with her past owner who passed away about 4 years ago.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

From what you describe, I think the rule outs they have given you sound about right. If the problem is a disc and it is affecting the nerves that supply the affected leg. If that is the case, anti-inflammatories (steroids) and strict rest is the best form of therapy to let the inflammation in in the spine from the ruptured disc resolve. Unfortunately, disc disease does not usually cause a dog to experience seizures. That would more likely point to a brain tumor. If there is a tumor, it can cause loss of nerve function supplying a limb, depending on what portion of the brain is affected. Sometimes steroids will help for a short while by decreasing the inflammation in the brain surrounding the tumor.

If she continues to have seizures, you may want to ask your vet to prescribe something to control them, but if a tumor is present, they may be hard to control.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Hi Lisa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian