Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

She just licked some grates that had oven cleaner on them.

Customer Question

she just licked some grates that had oven cleaner on them. We're giving her milk and she is drinking a lot of it. I don't know how much she got
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: the Name is ***** ***** she is 9 months old. She is a westland terrier
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maggie?
Customer: I don't think so. She's been very healthy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Can you tell me the specific oven cleaner that was used so I can look up the active ingredient (or you can type them if you can find it on the label)? How is she acting right now? Is she seeming sore in her mouth?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I used 2 products one is Western Family Oven Cleaning with Ethanolamine Also an product by Walmart that does not list the ingredients. Similar products.

How long ago did the licking happen? Is she acting like her mouth is sore? Is she acting nauseated or uncomfortable?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We think she was outside for about 5 minutes. I do not know how long she licked the grate. We gave her milk and she is now resting on the floor, which is what she always does. She is not acting like her mouth is sore. She has not thrown up. She loved all of the milk which was about 1 1/2 cups. Can I continue to have her drink milk during the day? How often should she drink milk if that will help?

That is good that she's not acting like her mouth is sore. Also good that she's comfortably resting. Was the product on the grill itself as far as layered on it? She didn't get into an actual spill of the product, the container, or a puddle of it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The other product from Walmart is called Fume Free Oven Cleaner- Great Value product made by Walmart. The grate she was licking had more of that product on it than the first products.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No the grate was sprayed. The grate she licked was not sprayed as thick as the other grates. I

Ok. With this product being sprayed on the grill, that is better than it spilling or puddling as it is much greater quantities. A lot of times these cleaning products are ones that can cause oral ulceration / irritation, esophageal ulceration / irritation, or stomach upset / vomiting. The offering of the milk right away was good as that can help to dilute it and in some cases neutralize it a little. Continued offerings of it most likely aren't going to help any more. As far as at home at this time, watching for any oral discomfort, discomfort with swallowing or vomiting is what is usually done. Keeping the same feeding schedule and food is important to be able to have them on the same pattern so they hopefully eat as well as normal. Some can have alcohols in them and this can cause them to act inebriated / stumbly. If this is seen, then that may be a sign of that. For a girl her size to lick a grill with those products on it doesn't seem overly worrisome if she's comfortable at this time. I would be more worried if she found the grill wire cleaner and started to eat it - I just had a case at my ER where a dog ate a ton of the wire bristles from one and almost got blocked from it.

How is she doing at this time?