Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Kingsland Blvd Animal Clinic
94981754

I have a 110 pound great dane with a paw infection and want

Customer Question

I have a 110 pound great dane with a paw infection and want to start her on keflex and curious of dose.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections the Great Dane can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the Great Dane's name and age?
Customer: Georgia ...she is 4 and she had a cut that I did not notice in time and now it's worse.
JA: What is the Great Dane's name?
Customer: Georgia
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Georgia?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm a nurse....and it's not horribly infected. It's just raw and bleeding in a couple of spots. She got loose today and ran through the woods making it worse.
Expert:  Dr. Meghan Denney replied 2 months ago.

Hi I am Dr. Meghan Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

Her dose would be 11,000 mg. at 22 mg/kg every 12 hours for 10 days.

Sometimes cephalexin is not the appropriate antibiotic needed for deep wound care so I would recommend that Georgia see her veterinarian and have the wound checked for what type of bacteria is present.

I would also place an e-collar on her to keep her from licking or chewing and making it worse.

I would also recommend hydrotherapy twice a day for 7 minutes with cool water to help reduce inflammation and speed healing

You can also apply some Manuka honey twice a day to help granulation tissue form to help close the wound.

Restricting her activity level is also recommended so we can allow this to heal.

If you are not seeing improvement after 48 Hours on the Cephalexin ( keflex) the best course of action is to get her seen by your veterinarian.

Good luck with Georgia.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you.

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do you mean 1000mg twice a day?

Yes sorry I added a zero

my computer auto corrects things I did not catch that. Yes at 110 lbs and 22mg/kg her dose is approximately 1,000 mg

Make sure she has some food in her belly when you are dosing as we can see stomach upset in dogs from antibiotics just like in humans

Then if it is not improved after 2 days on antibiotics she will need to see her vet.