Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

He has thrown up five times today but is acting normal, I am

Customer Question
He has thrown up five...
He has thrown up five times today but is acting normal
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: I am not sure. He has eaten some cardboard paper towel rolls
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Chandler and he is almost 4
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chandler?
Customer: Not that I can think of! Thank you!
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Is there any possible way I could get charged the $14 tomorrow? I don't get paid until tomorrow and am running a little low on money today
7/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Chandler today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

Do you know how much of the cardboard he ingested and how long ago that was?

Is he a dog that likes to eat non-food things?

I am not sure how much he has ingested but the last one I saw him with was yesterday. He does like to eat non food things. We usually have to take his toys away from him because he tries to eat whatever part he can. He also likes to get into the trash if he can reach it (he's a corgi so he usually can't get into the trash can).

It is possible if he ate enough of the cardboard, it could be causing an obstruction, but if they are smaller pieces, they should usually pass. If he like to eat other things though and if the vomiting continues, I would definitely have him evaluated and have an abdominal radiograph performed to rule out a possible obstruction.

I would fast Chandler to give his GI system a rest. Since he is an adult dog, a 12-24 hr fast will not hurt him and will let his gut calm down. Continue to offer small amounts of water at a time. When you do begin feeding him again, you will want to offer frequent, small meals of something very digestible for him. These would include items like boiled hamburger or chicken and rice or pasta. No sauces or gravies, but a little non greasy broth would be OK.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Thank you so much for you the advice! I will do what you said and definitely watch him closely for other symptoms.

You are most welcome. Good luck.

Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
petdrz
He is doing much better! He has not thrown up again and is acting like his normal self! Thank you!
petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian