Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have an Old English Bulldogge, she went in heat for the

Customer Question
first time about 2 months...
I have an Old English Bulldogge, she went in heat for the first time about 2 months , her nipples are still really swollen.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bella
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?
Customer: She currently has hot spots also
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Meghan Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

Is there any chance that she was bred while she was in heat?
Is she licking at her nipples or rubbing them on the carpet or floor?

Where are the hot spots located?

Can you send me a picture of her belly so I can see what they look like ?

Hello are you there?

With the information I have I will try to provide the best answer I can.

It can take a few months for nipples to decrease in size after a heat.

We can also see dogs who have been bred have these symptoms so you may consider getting her abdomen x-ray or an ultrasound to check her for pregnancy. Pregnancy can certainly cause their nipples to increase in size as the body prepares for puppies to nurse.

Infection , like mastitis, can cause the nipples to become inflamed. They will often be hot to the touch and can cause discomfort. If this is the case Bella will need to see her regular veterinarian.

Allergies can cause the skin to itch and the dog to rub their bellies and nipples and the floor which can lead to inflammation. You can try some benadryl and oatmeal baths to help sooth the skin dosing of benadryl is approximately a mg per pound so if she is 45 pounds her dose would be rounded to 50mg.

We can also see some female dogs have nipple changes after a heat that cause the anatomy of the nipple to change and become larger and sometimes the nipples will not revert to the smaller size they were before a heat.

Good luck with Bella.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you.

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian