Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 14 year old female Rottweiler six weeks ago the vet

Customer Question

I have a 14 year old female Rottweiler six weeks ago the vet advised she has bad arthritis in her right hind leg she is on anti-inflammatories and pain medicine but as of this weekend she is unable to walk is this an appropriate issue to have our dog put to rest? We realize surgery is not an option for arthritis nor any reason at her age but if walking is not possible anymore is there any other resolution a vet would have?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes there is no wound
JA: The Expert will know what to do. What is the Rottweiler's name?
Customer: Sheila
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sheila?
Customer: No arthritis in the back right hind leg and 14 years old are her only downfalls she's been quite healthy her whole life
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm very sorry to hear about this situation with Shelia. Arthritis is a challenging issue with the large breed dogs. When dealing with arthritis, sometimes it progresses to the point where management isn't keeping them comfortable and a quality of life decision is brought up. There are various things to treat arthritis with. I'm curious to know what medications she's on now. There may be some more to add to this. Some will pursue acupuncture or laser therapy to try and provide some help with the arthritis. Some will do glucosamine supplementation in addition to the other medications or an injection of a product called Adequan to try and promote better joint health. Here is a good link on the various products that can be used to help treat arthritis.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=587

The hardest part about arthritis with dogs is that at some point, they aren't being kept comfortable and the quality of life decision is brought up. If an owner has hit that point where no more medical options are available or working, then the decision to let them go is a very humane one. A dog needs to be mobile, comfortable, social, and eating / drinking well to be having a good quality of life.