petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

I have a rat terrier who has trouble with constipation. She,

Customer Question

I have a rat terrier who has trouble with constipation. She
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Rat Terrier's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is 7 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zoe?
Customer: We have had trouble finding food that she will eat so my
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We are having trouble trouble finding food she will eat, Do you suggested wet or dry?
Expert:  petdrz replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Expert:  petdrz replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Zoe pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

How long has the constipation been going on?

Was she eating well before it started?

Has she been examined for this by a veterinarian?

How often does she pass stool and what does it look like?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It has been going one about 2-3 days. She was eating fine until then. She will eat treats of people food in a limited amount
but will not touch her dog food. She has not seen a vet. I really don't know how many times she has passed stool because
he goes outside in the fenced yard but she looks as if she is having trouble and it is hard looking.
Expert:  petdrz replied 2 months ago.

I don't finding a food she will accept is the answer, as if she is really that constipated, she may start to refuse all food. The key is to find out why and to try to soften up her stools. It would really be best to have her examine first as there may be a blockage that is leading to her troubles or there may be an issue with her anal glands or rectum. Your vet would need to perform a rectal exam to determine that.

In the meantime, I would offer foods with ample moisture. Canned food with extra broth added or even bland human food, such as boiled chicken or ground beef.

The human product Miralax® powder is very effective and safe. Use 1/4 to 1/2 tsp mixed in with canned food twice a day. It is an agent that draws water into the stool to help keep it soft and easier to pass.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z