Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Kingsland Blvd Animal Clinic
94981754

He's a 7 year old Pomeranian. Usually very energetic first

Customer Question

He's a 7 year old Pomeranian. Usually very energetic first thing in the morning. Today he had no energy, can still jump up on things had some water this morning, did his business, stool was normal, urine as well. He walks real slow like he's in pain?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bandit
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bandit?
Customer: He also is shivering just a little bit, never does this. He won't come for his favorite toys, although he did eat a treat after he did his business.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Meghan Denney replied 2 months ago.

Hi I am Dr. Meghan Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

I know he ate a treat but will he eat his regular dog food? Did he eat his breakfast.

Any strenuous or vigorous activity yesterday ?

I am concerned that he may have hurt his back or his neck. This can happen from jumping on or off furniture or from just generally activity. Back pain can present commonly with the symptoms that you are describing .

I would recommend that Bandit be seen by your regular veterinarian today if you can so we can get him examined to have his back and neck checked for pain. If you cannot get him seen today then we need to restrict his activity ( cage rest would be the best) short leash walks to potty so he does not injure himself worse.

Generally when I have a patient that is a little older and this is their first episode of back or neck pain I will discuss 2 different treatment plans and then the owner and I discuss which works for them. If the pain is mild to moderate I will recommend X-rays of the spine to check for intervertebral disk disease or disk compression which can change how long and how aggressive we treat. If the pain is mild or my owners cannot afford xrays then we treat with conservative therapy with pain medications, muscle relaxers and anti inflammatory medications.

Good luck with your dog let me know how he does and if you have any questions.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you.

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney