Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dog, an 85 lb GSD ate two frozen chicken breasts wrapped

Customer Question

My dog, an 85 lb GSD ate two frozen chicken breasts wrapped in Saran Wrap, not so worried about the chicken but more the plastic wrap
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: Not really
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about your GSD.

How long ago did she eat the chicken and plastic?

And, about how much wrap would you say she ate?

Thanks, Deb

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Probably about a half hour to an hour. I would say maybe 6-12 inches on each piece. There was some plastic wrap left, he didn't eat it all but most of it
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for the answers to my questions. Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

In all likelihood, he'll be able to pass the plastic with no problem because he's a big dog. However, since so little time has passed, if you want to induce vomiting to retrieve the pieces, you could if you have 3% fresh hydrogen peroxide (it should bubble and fizzle).

The dose for a dog this size would be 3 tablespoons mixed with bread or yogurt (or something similar). Walk him around and repeat the dose one time in 15 minutes, if necessary. Not all dogs will vomit when peroxide is given but most of them will.

I honestly doubt that he'll have any problems if you don't have peroxide and/or aren't successful if you do decide to give him to him; however, signs to monitor which might indicate an obstruction would be vomiting, loss of appetite, lethargy and/or abdominal pain.

I might increase his fiber (such as whole wheat bread) as well as increase his activity level which may help to increase transit time.

I hope this helps, Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on your dog. How are things going? Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb