Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My Yorkie has a cough, how do I treat it?

Customer Question

My Yorkie has a cough , how do I treat it ?
Submitted: 3 months ago via Dog-Health-Guide.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry your Yorkie is coughing. How long has he been coughing? How old is he?

The treatmentment depends on what is causing the cough. If he has an infection such as kennel cough, the treatment is antibiotics, usually doxycline. If he is older, his cough may be due to a heart problem and that is treated with a combination of medications such as enalapril, pimobendan, and furosemide.

This breed is prone to a condition called collapsing trachea, which is treated with cough suppressants, antibiotics and anti inflammatory medication.

If you give me a little more information about his age, weight, and how long he has been coughing, that may help me to figure out what this might be.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Molly is almost 9 years old and just started coughing yesterday ?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

Usually a cough from heart disease or collapsing trachea comes on gradually. If it came on suddenly this might be an infection such as "kennel cough" and a course of doxycycline from your veterinarian should take care of it.

You can try Robitussin DM (only DM formula) 1/4th teaspoon twice daily, but that won't treat an infection. It may help with the coughing.

It is always best to find out what the problem is; then you know the correct treatment. If she has "kennel cough" or an upper respiratory infection and you don't start antibiotics, it may get better on its own after a couple of weeks, but it can also get worse, and turn into pneumonia.

Please let me know if this is helpful and what other questions I can answer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not hapay with this service and I am taking Molly in to see her regular vet , which I should have done ..
Not dissatisfied with your answers, just don't want to be obligated to a service charge on a regular basis .
She is small and should have taKen to be seen and evaluated by her doctor who treats her regularly.
Please cancel my enrollment in formation
Thank you
Deborah
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

You do not have to commit to a regular service charge; contact customer service if you have questions about this, on the drop down menu. I can't cancel your enrollment for you.

I just answer questions for the website and do not have access to any account information and I do not send any offers you are seeing.

I am glad to know you are not dissatisfied with my answers; please let me know how she is doing and if I can help with anything else.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

How is your Yorkie doing?