Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog was diagnosed with severe colitis 4 years ago.we cant

get his diet right,vets dont...
my dog was diagnosed with severe colitis 4 years ago.we cant get his diet right,vets dont know much to try have tried royal canin gasto,then hills prescription diet dd for sensitive now tried a raw meat diet but not happy with it to start with he seemed great but now his coat is dull shedding loads and he is constantly scratching nibbling making sore patches,he has been wormed and flead,want to get him back onto a food what is the best food for dogs with severe colitis please thanks
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** is a 5 yr old german shepherd,cant seem to get any sense from vets he is also having probiotic powders on food and when he is really bad he has metronidazole and medrone tablets.he is very depressed and no energy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about shane?
Customer: i dont think so anything you want to ask
7/24/2017
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance but need a bit more information if you don't mind.

When he is on the metronidazole and medrone, are his stools better?

Has Shane had a biopsy of the intestine to better diagnose the type of colitis?

What raw meat are you feeding?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

thanks,his bowels have been much improved on the raw diet,they were before very offensive smelling and ytpical colitis loose stool and formed in one bowel movement.it seems to be more that he seems to have a sore tummy and that makes him miserable and not want to do anything.he does seem to be a little better when he has a course of medrone steroids and metrabactin,but we obviously dont want to have him on medication all the time we want to manage it by diet and finding the right diet for him.he has had poo samples and bloods and a scan or xray back along,our vet said he has not seen one with such a bad case really.we give him spiralina a holistic dog expert did an assesment and he wanted the spiralina and liquorice to soothe his belly.just breaks our heart to watch him so low.he has the natures menu frozen raw chicken,tripe most flavoursreally

Thank you for the reply.

Colitis can be a challenge to control and in many dogs, we don't ever "cure" it, but merely control it so that the symptoms are tolerable. Keep in mind that diet by itself, will not likely control it unless it is due to a food allergy. If that is the case, a food trial would be needed. Limited protein diets like d/d may not do the trick. A raw diet is not likely going to be the answer either, especially if he has been exposed to proteins like poultry or beef in the past. A homecooked diet of a protein he has not been exposed to ever or a hydrolyzed protein may be more helpful to use in a food trial and determine if food is playing a role in this.

Some dogs need to be controlled with chronic medications. In those cases, we try to chose the drugs with the least amount of harmful side effects. Medrone is a steorid and can lead to other problems, but even if he needed to stay on it long term, the goal would be to use the lowest effective dose. I am able to manage many of my cases without chronic steroid but with daily metronidazole. Metronidazole is an antibioitic with anti-inflammatory effect in the colon.

Here is a link with more information about colitis and it treatment LINK HERE

Ultimately, some of these unresponsive cases end up needing an intestinal biopsy to better define the degree of disease in the lining of the gut.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

THANKS SO MUCH BY A HOMECOOKED DIET WHAT SORT OF THINGS WOULD YOU SUGGEST PLEASE,SO HE CAN STAY ON A LOW DOSE OF METRONIDAZOLE MOST OF THE TIME REALLY STEROIDS ONLY WHEN A BAD FLARE UP? CAN YOU SUGGEST ANY GOOD BRAND DOG FOODS WET AND DRY THAT YOU KNOW MAY MAKE A DIFFERENCE LOVE THANKYOU

This link explains home cooked diets for a feeding trial a little more. You would want to discuss this with your vet to determine, based on what he has exposed his GI tract to in the past, what would be the best choice of ingredients. The protein source has to be something he has never eaten before, so he would not have developed any antibodies to it. LINK HERE Dogs in he US are commonly put on things like ostrich, venison, lentils or kangaroo, but it all depends on his history. If you are trying to prove if there is a food allergy or not, over the counter brands are not going to be pure (uncontaminated with other proteins or grains than what the label says) and you are going to have to home cook or use a hydrolyzed diet.

petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
thats ok thankyou for your help and advice,not sure i am allowed but can i ask one last question continuing on our vet says shane cant stay on the metronidazole all the time any ideas please and once again many thanks

I don't know why they would say that. I have seen plenty of dogs and cats that are on chronic metronidazole.

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian