Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

I have a 1 1/2 year old husky mix. He hasn't been acting

Customer Question

Hi! I have a 1 1/2 year old husky mix. He hasn't been acting well the past few days and I only just noticed he has a swollen area near the base of his penis. When touching it gently it's hard like a ball.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the husky's name?
Customer: Luka
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Luka?
Customer: Before we adopted him he was fixed. He doesn't eat a lot at a time even for his size but drinks A LOT
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Luka. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of potential issues going on here with Luka, however it is very likely that what you are feeling is actually completely normal. Male dogs have glands called the bulbourethral glands that appear as two lumps near the base of the penis and these are very firm. These remain even after a dog is neutered, so there is every chance that this is what you are feeling. Given you have noticed he hasn't been acting well however, we do have consider whether there is something else going on here however. As such, do try and get Luka checked by your local vet first thing tomorrow if you can, to confirm that this is a normal part of his anatomy and not a swelling due to some other cause.

In case there is some other issue going on here, for the next few hours, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

I thought I would quickly check in to see how you are doing with your boy Luka. How is he doing at the moment? Did you need to follow up with your vet?

It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc