Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Second opinion] I want to know if the 3 fresh food recipes…

Second opinion] I want...

Second opinion] I want to know if the 3 fresh food recipes my friend designed for my 2-year old and neutered Scottish Terrier are nutritionally balanced

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Scottish terrier's name?

MM

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Scottish terrier?

She has recently switched from dry kibbles to fresh food

7/24/2017
DrRoyC
DrRoyC, Dog Veterinarian
DrRoyC responding to your questions and concerns regarding MM. I'm having difficulties with WiFi. Briefly saw the recipes, not able to review in detail. Home cooked diets can be nutritional balanced for dogs, they are a LOT of work. Why are you switching MM to a home cooked program? If there are skin or digestive intolerances the recipes are not unique proteins or carbohydrates, nor are they low residue. If we are cooking to healthy, then let's go with organic ingredients. What are your friend's qualifications to making up the diets? There are veterinary nutritional experts that I can refer to, they work with pet owners in formulating yummy & balanced diets. I tend to use them for pets with allergies, kidney disease, & cancer.
Will monitor for your response and questions.
Signing off for the night
DrRoyC
Thanks DrRoyC for your response.MM hasn't got any health issues and I have been very skeptical about the additives in conventional kibbles (from the vast amount of information I could get online). The switch to fresh diets is mainly for the health and longevity of my dog.My friend is not a dog veterinarian but claims to be a dog nutrition expert who has spent considerable amount of time researching into these issues. Hence I wanted to get the professional advice from a dog veterinarian to give me the peace of mind that the designed recipes are balanced for a healthy adult dog to maintain her daily nutritional needs, without the need for added supplements.My friend also said that he had taken reference to the AAFCO nutritional standards and his recipes have matched the standards.Could you have a review of the recipes and let me know if you see any major deficiencies in specific nutrients? Many thanks!
Will review, when have access to MAC. This post doesn't show recipes, there are 2 active questions.
I have attached the recipes here.I am puzzled about having 2 active questions. So does it mean that I will be charged twice?
No, you will not be charged twice. Submitted to customer service.
Thanks - let's continue our conversation here. Awaiting your advice.

http://www.acvn.org/ There are many websites available for homemade pet diets, this site is the GOLD STANDARD. I use veterinary board certified nutritionists for pets with; allergies, kidney disease, & cancer. Home cooking is a lot of work, if you are going to do, buy the best organic ingredients. In looking at the recipes the use of organ meats, shell fish, selection of veggies, no fish oil, all raise numerous questions as to why such an odd collection was put together. Is this to be a cooked or RAW diet program? DrRoyC

These are cooked meals. I want my dog to stay away from dry kibbles as I learn more about the quality of ingredients going into commercially available dry and canned dog food. I am using human grade ingredients (organic if possible). I checked online that all ingredients in the recipes are safe for dogs to eat. Are organ meats, shellfish and veggies not good for dogs? I saw on the recipes that the percentages for organ meats and shellfish are small though. I believe the collection of ingredients is to balance the nutritional needs from natural food sources?
Cooked is Good.
Organ meats are a large component of dog foods. Shell fish is unusual. Veggies are excellent, the burdock is an oddity. Berries & apples are full good choice. High recommend adding fish oil, so getting both Omgea 3 & 6.
Long Term Please consult a veterinary nutritionist, listed on the website I referenced. The reason we so rarely see nutritional disease in dogs & cats is commercial pet foods. However I have birds, Reptiles, rabbits, & other exotics die every single day in my practice from
Malnutrition!! So many needless deaths. You can make Homemade diets work for MM. You are very astute owner.
Thank you - you have been very helpful : )
Glad to help, appreciate a + Rating, by clicking the Stars @ top of toolbar.
Just Answer & I appreciate U & MM.
DrRoyC
DrRoyC
DrRoyC, Dog Veterinarian
Thank You
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
DrRoyC
Thanks for following up DrRoyC. My dog is benefiting from the home-cooked meals, reflected by her improved agility and the shinny coat and fur :)
MM has a wonderful owner. Give him some TLC from me.
Glad you made the switch!
Yay!!! ^_^
DrRoyC
DrRoyC
DrRoyC, Dog Veterinarian