Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dog has cushings and is on Vetoryl. Today she started

Customer Question

my dog has cushings and is on Vetoryl. Today she started with some swelling in her jaw. I think she has an abcess and will be calling for an appointment with the vet...She has some Tramadol from an accident in the past. Is it safe to give her one?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about for?
Customer: she has thryroid med she also takes she just turned 14 yesterday
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help answer your question.

I double checked if there would be any contraindications to giving your dog Tramadol given the other medications she's taking and there don't appear to be. The dose would be 2-5 mgs per pound of body weight 3 times a day. If you provide me with her weight, I can provide a more accurate dosage amount.

Tramadol appears to be well tolerated in dogs, in my experience and is a good anti-pain medication for them (I frequently prescribe it for many of my patients). Possible side effects, however, include excessive sedation, agitation, anxiety, tremor, dizziness , or GI effects such as inappetence, vomiting, constipation to diarrhea. If she's tolerated it in the past, though, then I wouldn't expect her to have any issues with it now.

I hope this helps, Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb