Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have 2 dogs. 1 has epilepsy and takes potassium bromide 2x

Customer Question

I have 2 dogs. 1 has epilepsy and takes potassium bromide 2x day. The one without epilepsy just ate the other's pill What do I need to do for both of them?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Yoshi 2 years (has epilepsy), Asta 4 years Yoshi is 40lbs and Asta is 50lbs
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Yoshi is the one with epilepsy, Asta is the one without epilepsy who ate the pill
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No I also want to know if Yoshi (the one with epilepsy) will be ok without his pill for a night
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Because of the very long half-life of this drug, one missed dose isn't likely to alter the serum blood level significantly and so Yoshi should remain protected against seizures. Because the dogs are of similar weight, your non-epileptic dog isn't in danger having been given the bromide. Transient sedation is likely but Asta will remain safe. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Have you run out of bromide and so Yoshi can't have a pill?

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?