PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I came how to see my 6 month old Rat Terrier ate a few

Customer Question

I came how to see my 6 month old Rat Terrier ate a few Immodium she has thrown up a lot since is she going to be ok ?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the Rat Terrier will be able to digest that. What is the Rat Terrier's name?
Customer: Chloe is her name
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chloe?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
please help !
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I'm sorry to see no one has reached out to you by now. How is Chloe currently? Do you know how many were consumed? What milligram strength are they and how much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Its beenabout 12 hours now. Chloe has not thrown up any moreand seems to be ok she just acts really tired and scared. I dont really know how many she ate they are 2mg strenth pills. She is still not wanting to drink any water.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She weighs about 6 pounds

Thank you for the additional information. Imodium caplets are intensely bitter and can cause quite a few symptoms when a pet consumes more than they could. Poison control reports that most dogs show signs of vomiting, lethargy, diarrhea, drooling, low temperature and slow heart rate. Ideally, we'd like to see her examined and treated since she consumed an unknown amount of this medication but most dogs do well once vomiting has occurred. You can wait and watch her at home, but keep close tabs on her demeanor. If you see any changes or persistent symptoms, she absolutely needs an examination. Make sure to keep this medication out of her reach as dogs do tend to be repeat offenders even if they felt ill after an ingestion previously.

Chances are that she is still nauseated following the ingestion. You can administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 If this does not improve her will to drink and eat well, an examination is needed.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Chloe today?