Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a beautiful purebred 8yr old English choc. Lab. He

Customer Question
I have a beautiful purebred...
I have a beautiful purebred 8yr old English choc. Lab. He has really been healthy& has a wonderful diposition. Everyone young & old wants to take him for a w/e to cuddle-which he loves. He is unlike any lab I have had previously-I am blessed! Now the problem with "Adam" is he has developed a horrible yeasty smell-despite his excellent care-daily brushing& grooming& once a month "the works" bath @ his spa. He does have lots of wax in his ears-but no infection. I have drops to loosen it which I use daily. He gets a couple of hot spots on his neck every summer since he has a blocky head & 3 chins. We shave it & treat topically& it clears up. He is a big swimmer, so we rinse & dry him after each swim. His fur is as thick as a bear. He eats a raw meat & string bean meal 2x a day-healthy snacks. We have done this with him since he was a pup. He doesn't scratch a lot & seems very happy. The smell is a real turn off to people& I think he feels something is wrong since people do not hug him like before. He seems sad& it breaks my heart. The home does smell & I would love to get to the bottom of this. He goes every where with me& is like my grandchild. What can we do? I would appreciate your help-thank you so much for taking an interest! Regards, Janice& ūüźĺūüźĺ
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

Has Adam had his skin scraped by your regular veterinary medicine to check for mites (dogs have a normal amount of mites that live in the skin but sometimes the mites can overgrow and lead to conditions like this) which can cause secondary fungal and bacterial infections to occur?

What medicated shampoo are you using?

What flea prevention is he on?

Excuse me regular veterinarian is what I meant

With the information you have provided I will make the best recommendations that I can.

Often with skin issues that are this bad ( the smell you are describing) topical therapies are not enough.

We also need to make sure there is no underlying cause here that is contributing like Skin mites or allergies because if we do not address the underlying cause we will never get anywhere with the topical therapies (like shampoos)

I am going to recommend that Adam see your regular veterinarian this week to have what is called a skin scraping done to check for the microscopic mites and a skin cytology to see what is growing on the surface of the skin ( bacterial or fungal) so we can pick appropriate therapy for oral medications.

Often skin infections can take 2-3 weeks to clear up with oral medications along with the topical therapies like the shampooing you have been doing.

Mites cause secondary infections because they attack the deep dermis and allow bacteria and fungal organisms to colonize.

Allergies need to be addressed because allergies change the skin's immune system and makes the skin more susceptible to infection both bacterial and fungal.

Often skin cases are multi factorial so we need to make sure that all causes are addressed to get resolution of symptoms and get Adam to a point where he can be loved on by everyone he loves.

Good luck with Adam I hope that with these recommendations we can get his skin to rights and get rid of the smell.

If this was helpful and guided you on what to do I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you.

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

Did you have any other questions ? I never heard back from you

Hi Janice,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Adam. How is everything going?

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian