PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Will this cost anything before I ask? I'm asking for my gf,

Customer Question

Hello
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: Will this cost anything before I ask?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: I'm asking for my gf
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: Her part Shepard/Catahoola ate 5 800mg ibuprofen and a bit of meloxicam as well as inflammatory cream. She's 6 months old. She shows no signs of pain yet. She has vommitted almost everyrhing she has eaten since the incident(2 days ago)
JA: The Expert will know if the Shepherd will be able to digest that. What is the Shepherd's name?
Customer: Dori
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dori?
Customer: Other than being exceedingly hyper normally as opposed to very calm now not rrally
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

How much does Dori weigh?

How long ago did this occur?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She weighs 20 pounds.It occurred Friday.

I would highly recommend that you have Dori evaluated and treated by your veterinary office. She has consumed 4000mg of Ibuprofen which puts her at the top end of the toxicity scale. Following such an ingestion we can see severe GI upset, GI ulcers, kidney failure, seizures, coma and death. Your vet needs to run bloodwork on her, at very least, and may wish to also use gastric protectants. She truly should have received care on Friday when the ingestion occurred. Hopefully since she vomited following the ingestion she eliminated some of the consumed materials which kept her from absorbing them. Her youth may also play a role here and keep her from suffering long-term effects, but bloodwork would be wise to be certain of that.

At home, monitor for changes. If she has been vomiting and you cannot take her to a veterinary office to be evaluated, you can administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0

I would also highly recommend a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Dori today?