Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Dog has mastitis and antibiotics the vet gave us are not

Customer Question

Dog has mastitis and antibiotics the vet gave us are not working any longer . Temperature is 104
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Temperature?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Are puppies still nursing? If antibiotics aren't helpful, either the wrong antibiotic is onboard and/or the glands have abscessed and the antibiotic can't penetrate into the pus and surgical lancing will be necessary and necrotic tissue might need to be removed. Systemic antibiotics are required and are initially based on Gram stain and milk pH and on whether or not neonates are still nursing; susbequently, bacterial culture and susceptibility results are used for definitive treatment.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?