Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog has developed several large bulges that are soft and

Customer Question

My dog has developed several large bulges that are soft and squishy and give him no pain and does not effect his demeanor or appetite.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tip and 8 months old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Tip
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: They just appeared in the last 2 days
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Where are these large bulges at? Can you take a picture of them so I can see them? What breed of dog is Tip?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Tip is a daushaund/ hound mix. The biggest bulge is on his right side but he has 2 more on his left shoulder.

Good job on the photo. Are they actively getting bigger or staying the same size? Is there any wounds / punctures in the areas near them?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There's no wounds that I can see and they are staying the same size. He didn't have them on Thursday. I saw them Friday night for the first time. The second one on his left shoulder came this morning.

These lumps are interesting. If I'm looking at the picture correctly, it is there on the right side just behind his ribs and it is pretty good size - about the size of a golf ball or so. A lump or bump - the rule outs are hernia, cyst, local area of cellulitis, tumor, or abscess / infection. It is good that he's not bothered by these lumps. I wouldn't want to see them getting bigger, draining, having pain to them, or more to start up. Ideally a veterinary exam is done to have them palpate the areas and to most likely do an aspirate of them with a needle to see what the cells / material that comes out of them are. These can be evaluated then under a microscope to see if a specific course of medication is needed.