Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Dog ate Combat roach poison containing Fipronil....he is

Customer Question

Dog ate Combat roach poison containing Fipronil....he is behaving normally. Should I take any action? Withhhold food and/or water?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

No, as with ingesting anything unusual transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea can arise but Kruiser wasn't intoxicated.

Fipronil is considered a safe insecticide with a wide safety margin. It's not systemically absorbed. (Weil, 1997) Fipronil is detected on the hair shafts but is never detected in the dermis and adipose tissue, suggesting that it is absorbed and accumulated in the sebaceous glands, from which it is slowly released via follicular ducts. It has been tested and can be used in kittens and puppies as young as 8 weeks of age. It is easily removed by bathing in the first 48 hours after application before it is absorbed into the sebaceous glands. (Weil, 1997) In toxicity studies, the application of Frontline® spray to dogs and cats at a dose five times higher than recommended for 6 months did not cause any clinical, biochemical, hematological, or cutaneous abnormalities. (Consalvi, 1996) Oral doses equal to 87 pipettes in dogs and 20 pipettes in cats showed no adverse reactions beyond drooling and occasional vomiting. A few skin hypersensitivity reactions have been reported, most likely to the carrier. There's no reason to withhold good or water unless he vomits at which time it's prudent to fast him for 6 hours after the vomiting episode in order to rest his GI tract. If drinking induces more vomiting, please replace his water with ice cubes for him to lick.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kruiser. How is everything going?