Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 8 year old german shepherd doesn't want to go on any

Customer Question

My 8 year old german shepherd doesn't want to go on any walks
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: yes I checked his body
JA: The Expert will know what to do. What is the German shepherd's name?
Customer: Maximus
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maximus?
Customer: no, he is always full of energy, likes to play and last 2 weeks doesn't not sure if heat has anything to do with it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about Maximus. There could be many reasons why a dog his age does not want to walk any more. He may have arthritis (it would be unusual for an 8 year old German Shepherd not to have some arthritis), he may have a heart problem, he may have an internal illness, he could have DM(degenerative myelopathy, a neurologic condition seen in this breed).

Is he eating normally? Any increase in thirst? Any weight loss? If you check his gums, by lifting his lips, are they pink in color or at all pale?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

When a dog stops doing something they normally do, it is their way of telling us something is wrong, but it takes a physical exam by your veterinarian to start to figure out where the problem is.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

How is Maximus doing? I have not heard back from you.

Please let me know if this was helpful and if I can answer any other questions you may have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?