Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My husband just changed the water he found little black

Customer Question

My husband just changed the water he found little black worms in there is it harmful to our pets ? There is something in our soil out side that they dig and eat we can't stop them and the little dogs sleep with us is it harmful to us ? Thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about your finding these worms. It is unlikely they would be harmful to your dogs; dogs do eat things like poop, dirt, bugs, etc. and it rarely makes them sick.

If you are really worried, take the worms to a science or biology department at a local school or university to see if they can be identified. Knowing what they are would be the only way to know for sure if they are at all harmful to dogs, but in my 32 years' experience, dogs do not usually get sick from things like this.

Please let me know if this is helpful and what other questions you may have.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can u put a drop of Clorox in water we think it's in our sandy soil?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I would not recommend that. Clorox is not safe for dogs.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

How are your dogs doing? I have not heard back from you.

Please let me know if this was helpful and if I can answer any other questions you may have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.
Hi Lynn,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?