Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My terrier has a large growth below her anus, it's quite

Customer Question

My terrier has a large growth below her anus, it's quite heavy and has grown quite rapidly over the last couple of weeks, a vet came and had look, she doesn't specialise in dogs but thought it could be a cyst and removal might cause my terrier to die, however since then the growth has got larger and I am wondering if it might be a hematoma
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the terrier's name and age?
Customer: Teasle and she's 9 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Teasle?
Customer: She lost the use of her back legs about 3 years ago, we bought her some wheels, but now she seems to be walking much more, she does find walking more difficult with the growth getting bigger, she also has a habit of drinking her own urine which has made her skin itchy.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has this been present?

Did the vet do any testing of the lump?

Why does she think your dog could die (as only an anesthesia complication if Teasle had organ issues really would be a concern)?

Can you take a photo so I can see what you are seeing? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi, working out how to get a photo to you - I am on my own at the moment and Teasle isn't being very co-operative, so wil try to get a photo to you later.There hasn't been any testing on the lump, the first vet who saw her thought it was a cyst.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

No worries, I will be off and on the computer today. So, I will keep an eye out and am keen to see this so I can guide you properly here. :)

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** be tomorrow when I can get back to you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

That is fine, I will keep an eye out but may be a wee bit delayed until the evening since I will be seeing patients. :)

Speak to you tomorrow,

Dr. B.