Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog has dark diarrhea- vomiting bile - already had 7 day

Customer Question
script of antibiotics- over compinsates...
Dog has dark diarrhea- vomiting bile - already had 7 day script of antibiotics- over compinsates with water drinking
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Booth
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Booth?
Customer: He has had a bowl blockage before
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Is he only on antibiotics just now? Which one?

Is the diarrhea dark or black?

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

I don't recall the name - water comes up a bit after drinking - gums are pink - they have him on Benadryl and can't tell if tummy is tender
He may have ate grass
Diarrhea is dark brown

Hello again,

And are the stools black or just dark (quite important for us to discern for Booth)?

Dark
It does not look like blood
This has been going on for 2 weeks - he got a bit better on the antibiotics- now he has been off of them for 5 days

Sorry, we posted in the same minute there about the stool. Though I am glad to see its dark and not black (as stomach bleeding would have been a worry).

Now I do need a moment to type all my thoughts, so I will do that now and post shortly.

Dr. B.

He will barely eat
They also did X-rays and did not see anything but huge gas bubbles

Hello again,

First, I have to say that I am quite concerned that he has had these signs for weeks, was only treated with antibiotics and even so hasn't responded to that. This is because the vomiting and appetite loss are linked by an underlying nausea and the lack of response to treatment suggests that the underlying issue hasn't been cleared. In regards ***** ***** for all these signs, we'd be worried about a resistant bacterial infection, viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, or a possible partial gut blockage. Or if he is older there would also be concern of systemic issues (ie organ troubles, IBD, cancer, etc).

With this all in mind, we'd really want his vet looking into this further. Ideally we may need bloods or a repeat xray (since some items can be missed with a single xray at one time point) depending on exam findings. Or if the diarrhea is quite profuse, it could be cultured to determine if we have a resistant bacteria and determine what antibiotic its actually sensitive to. As well, since he has nausea and appetite loss, we'd really want his vet treating with more than antibiotics. If Booth were my patient, I'd have him on anti-nausea medication and appetite stimulants at least. So, those are bases we need to cover here if he isn't improving.

Any delay and we can at least start some supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest his stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating him an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac),]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. And if he has to be on Benadryl (as it can cause nausea), make sure to give the antacid before that.

Afterwards, you can consider tempting him with an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset/diarrhea. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion. And if we can settle the vomiting but his appetite remains poor, then we could start syringe feeding watered down canned puppy food, Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet. All of these are critical care diets that are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise

Furthermore, since Booth hasn't blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Overall, his signs do raise some concerns and the lack of improvement tells us that the antibiotics he was on didn't address the underlying issue. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care now with a view to having his vet start those symptomatic treatments I noted +/- looking into this further to make sure we get to the heart of this and get it settled before it can take a toll on him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian