Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Kingsland Blvd Animal Clinic
94981754

he seems to be scared by that I mean he will abruptly get up

Customer Question

he seems to be scared by that I mean he will abruptly get up and seem very paniced today he tried to hide behind the fire place I know some thing isn't right
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: he is a 10 year old german shepard he has had two acl surgerys I know he is not getting enough exersise
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Meghan Denney replied 2 months ago.

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

I am sorry for the delay in someone getting to your question.

How is he doing this morning?

When did this behavior first start?

Have there been any changes in his life recently ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
their has been changes my girlfriend has been sick lately diagnosed with liver failure I thought maybe he was tuned into that I don't think that's it six months or so he was constantly wining so we live in a small place and not much of a yard up until 3 or 4 years ago exersise was not a issue he has had surgery in both rear legs and was supposed to have another because of his age and the cost I decided not to have it done my other dog is a rescue he is 12 I was attributing all this behavior to age for the last couple weeks however I have been taking the both of them for a good walk at night i cant see much difference I'm worried he might have some type of diminsha or something I can not move with out him being right under my feet something is really wrong with him I have been very stressed in my personal life and I know he picks up on that but I think its more than that

At 10 years of age we can start to see some cognitive dysfunction but it is not a common occurrence. I think he is picking up on all the changes in his life right now and we also need to get him examined by your regular veterinarian to make sure there is nothing medically that ha changed. At 10 years of age we can see liver and kidney dysfunction so blood work is also something I would recommend having done.

Now some holistic things we can do now

1. Getting him on some anti anxiety calming supplements to see if that will. Composure treats which have natural calming ingredients.

https://www.amazon.com/VetriScience-Laboratories-Composure-Medium-Large/dp/B001WOOC9S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500843397&sr=8-1&keywords=composure+for+dogs

2. There is also a calming supplement called Zylkene that is a once a day that can help as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Vetoquinol-Zylkene-450-Capsules-Blister/dp/B01M7PTP56/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1500843538&sr=1-2&keywords=zylkene+for+dogs+450

We can also work to make sure his joints are not hurting him ( low level arthritis pain can cause a change in personality) I would recommend starting him on joint supplements as well . A good one is movoflex

https://www.amazon.com/MoVo-Flex-Joint-Support-Large-60/dp/B01E44ZX9U/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1500843620&sr=1-1&keywords=movoflex+joint+support+for+dogs+large+60+soft+chews

Once we have gotten him examined and made sure there is nothing underlying going on like metabolic disease for example then we can also look into getting him started on medication for anxiety specifically.

The supplements may be all he needs though so try those first.

For canine cognitive dysfunction there is a new diet on the marker that is quite wonderful and I have seen good results with called Bright Minds I think Purina makes it and we can get him started on that as well. Make sure when switching food always do it slowly over the course of a week to avoid any stomach upset.

Good luck with your dog.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you.

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Meghan Denney