Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We suspect my miniature golden doodle about 36 pounds got

Customer Question
ahold of his pill bottle...
We suspect my miniature golden doodle about 36 pounds got ahold of his pill bottle of rimadyl 75 mg and ate all the pills. There were only 2-3 pills in there about 2 hours ago or so now. He is acting normal right now. What should we watch for through the night or is it more serious than I think?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 9 months old. He was just fixed on Monday
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tucker?
Customer: No he is a super active happy dog
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I did still want to touch base with you.

How is Tucker just now?

He is acting normal and running around and playing

Thank goodness,

I am very glad to hear that Tucker is. Just to let you know if he had 3 of these, that is a 3.4x overdose for his weight. Thankfully its not enough to hurt kidneys but it cause a stomach ulcer over the next few days and GI upset (though that one is less likely if he is well just now). With that in mind, we just want to take a few steps the next few days to protect his stomach. To do so, we can feed a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, to counter stomach ulcer risks, we can also treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. And as long as we don't see black stool, belly pain, paling gums, coffee ground like or bloody vomit over the next few days, we'd assume he is fine and out of the woods.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian