Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is panting and shaking. This is not normal behavior

My dog is panting and...
My dog is panting and shaking. This is not normal behavior for him. Do I need to take him to an emergency vet?
7/23/2017
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your dog who is panting and shaking. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. As you can imagine, there are a range of possible causes for your boy's panting and shaking including anything from a behavioral/anxiety issue, to a primary cardiorespiratory problem, or even due to trauma and pain. You will need to keep a close eye on him for this reason, and if his panting doesn't settle in the next 15 - 20 minutes, I would definitely recommend and ER visit.

If he does settle, then over the next few hours, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you so much! That makes a lot of sense, and it's great to have some information about WHAT to check for while we monitor him rather than just staring at him all night! He seems to be settling down a bit...panting is less but still shaking. We'll check those things and give it a bit before taking him in to be seen. Again, thanks for the constructive advice.

No problem at all, and I hope this panting settles soon!

All the best,

Dr E

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian