Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I have 2 Beagles....i know they ste some Bing cherry pits.

Customer Question

I have 2 Beagles....i know they ste some Bing cherry pits. Not sure when, i think 2 hours ago. Should i be worried?
JA: It's hard to know for sure. The Veterinarian will figure it out.
Customer: They wete dried up from last night
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the beagle?
Customer: They ate dried up cherry pits
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the beagle will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the beagle?
Customer: There ate 2 beagles....not sure who ate what. One beagle weighs 26lbs and the other 34lbs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about your two dogs.

While fruit pits such as cherry contain an ingredient (cyanide) which can be toxic to dogs, this ingredient is usually present in very small amounts. In fact, dogs usually have to chew up the pits and they usually need to ingest quite a large number of them for problems to be seen.

Most dogs don't chew the pits but rather just swallow them whole. And, it doesn't sound as if they ate a sufficient amount for there to be a concern.

They should be fine; I hope this helps to provide peace of mind, Deb