Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I just gave you my credit card info and explained that I

Customer Question

I just gave you my credit card info and explained that I gave my dog to much Apaquel but it would let me continue to get an answer.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?
Customer: Please call me at(###) ###-####JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: I need someone to call me right away. I've already explained the problem about my dog and given your business my credit card info
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: Hi, Thank you so much. I accidentally gave my 15 pd dog and 16mg apaquel allergy pill. Is it going to kill her? Do I need to get her to the ER? She's about 14 yrs old but very healthy
JA: Is me eating normally?
Customer: Well its 11pm here and she hasn't had anything to eat since dinner at 5pm. I came home late and I have 4 dogs. I put some medicine in some lunch meat for my 60 pd dog and the 14 pd dog ate it. Is she going to be ok?
JA: OK, abnormal eating. The Veterinarian will know if me will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about me?
Customer: She doesn't have abnormal eating at all. She eats just fine
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

I gave the answer before and I will be glad to re-post it here again,

But if you want me to call you back on the phone ASAP and discuss things then just click on the phone request your end ...

Here is my original reply below ...

1. This drug is sometimes prescribed for dogs so it is not toxic to them as such, but where it is prescribed for dogs a typical dose rate would be 0.27 mg per pound of bodyweight given orally twice daily for up to 14 days then once daily thereafter. So clearly 16 mg is an overdose for your weight of dog.

2. If you want to take every possible precaution then one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

3. However if you fail to induce vomiting then all you can do is to keep a good eye on your dog and then contact a local vet if any odd symptoms do appear. In your case expected side effects would include vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy, anorexia and signs of abdominal pain. It could be that a one off overdose of this magnitude would not produce too dramatic side effects, but do not take chances. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Chloe's condition changes in any way or if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Here is the link for inducing vomiting .... LINK

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Chloe is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Apoquel issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott