Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog just ate a small jar of australian dream analgesic

Customer Question

My dog just ate a small jar of australian dream analgesic cream
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: desdemona 1 year old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: desdemona
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Desdemona swallowed this stuff, while there are no guarantees the chances are that if you do nothing this is not going to be a fatal incident but in that case your dog could suffer significant side effects so best act now. I have very quickly worked out an answer for you below.

1. Where a dog swallows any sort of drug or substance not intended for it then one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the analgesic cream that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

2. However if you fail to induce vomiting and any odd symptoms occur then you should have your dog checked over by a local vet without delay. In your case expected side effects would include primary digestive upset symptoms including vomiting, bad diarrhoea, or refusing to eat.

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Desdemona's condition changes in any way or if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.