Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Year old schnauzer had surgery 3 days ago. we still can't

Customer Question

year old schnauzer had surgery 3 days ago. we still can't get her to eat. help
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Rainy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rainy?
Customer: We just had her spayed 3 days ago. She will drink some water. She shakes and trembles a lot.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Did she go home on any medications? How does her incision look?

Looks like you are not currently online to respond. I am about to log off but if you come back online to respond I will be happy to respond to you whenever I log back in. Thank you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She has an antibiotic. Her decision looks pretty good.

Okay which antibiotic was she placed on? Some antibiotics can cause dogs to lose their appetite and they have to discontinue the medication to get their appetite to come back. Also since she is trembling that may be an indication that she is in pain so I would request pain medications from the veterinarian that did the surgery to see if that helps.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm not sure of medication. The label got wet. It looks like Amax. I give her 2 cc twice a day.

It was probably amoxicillin which is commonly given with surgeries. It is pink? I would talk to your veterinarian about switching antibiotics and also getting her on pain meds to see if it helps