Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Only left eye is droopy and red. third eyelid is swollen(?)

Customer Question

only left eye is droopy and red. third eyelid is swollen(?) maybe but no abnormal discharge from his eyes. He is 10 years old
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: dusty
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He has hip problems. but as far as this goes it showed up a few days ago and then seemed to get better for a day and now its as bad as before.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
here is a picture as well. He is a Labrador retriever.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Dusty, please?

The lower lid appears mildly droopy as would occur with ectropion which defines eversion of part or the entire eyelid margin away from the eye; this may be developmental or acquired but it would be acquired in his case as it just showed up rather than being present at birth. Acquired ectropion is associated with eyelid trauma, blepharitis (eyelid inflammation/infection or immune-mediated), old age and associated loss of orbicularis oculi muscle tone, or facial nerve paralysis. His third eyelid is prolapsed across the globe of the eye in an attempt to protect the exposed cornea. A complete ophthalmic exam including Schirmer tear testing, fluoroscein dye staining of the cornea, assessment of intraocular pressure, and careful examination of conformation of eyelid margins, conjunctiva, and cornea are important for Dusty's vet to perform.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.