Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My German Shepard ate about 6 chicken wings bones and all.

JA: I'm sorry to hear...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your German shepherd will be able to digest that. What is the German shepherd's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is 2 years 11 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pax?
Customer: no
7/22/2017
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear about Pax. How long ago did she get these?

Probably she will be fine; she is a big dog and the bones will probably pass. If you are worried, and she did this less than an hour ago, you could try to make her vomit by giving her some hydrogen peroxide in some milk or ice cream. If she is a large German Shepherd, give 1/2 of a tablespoon of peroxide. Do not give it directly and do not use out of date peroxide.

I have seen many dogs eat and pass chicken bones; I worry more about pork bones.

Please let me know if this is helpful and if you have any more questions.

about 2 hours ago

Then it may be too late to try to get her to vomit. I would monitor her, and feed her normally. You could add some canned unsweetened pumpkin to her food to try to help push the bones through.

If she stops eating and starts to vomit, have an Xray taken to see where the bones are.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
I need to know what I need to watch for

You need to watch for her not eating, and vomiting.

Please let me know how she is doing. Thanks for the great rating.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian