Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 15 yr old pit lab mix, 58lbs. She was having nose

Customer Question

I have a 15 yr old pit bull lab mix, 58lbs. She was having nose bleeds and I took her to the vet. I was told she had a bad tooth( upper jaw a large tooth, either the carnassial or the one behind it ). She was prescribed an antibiotic for a week. The last day of the antibiotic her nose was cold and wet for one day. A day after the antibiotic finished, a lump appeared at eyebrow level between her eyes. It's hard and does not move like a fatty tumor.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the pit?
Customer: Shes very lumpy. Some soft and hard, and her eye on the side of the bad tooth is kind of weird now. Like the membrane is higher on the eye and way more visible than the other. I've been cleaning out her nostril a few times a day to help her breath, but she is snorting more often like she's trying to suck boogies out of her nasal passage. I am thinking to get the tooth removed, I have very little money so I need to be more sure that this will alleviate the problem.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I added some pics, hopefully they can be seen
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
her tooth
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Were her nose bleeds from one or both nostrils? Was it from the same side as the tooth?

What tests did her vets do?

Did they not take out the bad tooth?

Just since she has had other lumps, have any been tested and what were they?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
her nose was bleeding on the side that the tooth was on. She's been lumpy for years, and no test were done on them as I cannot afford it. We tried the antibiotics first to see if that would help, it was all I could afford at the time. If I get the tooth removed it will be a straight shoot no pre tests. Again it is all I can afford. I tested her for diabetes, it could be Cushings, nasal tumor or cancer, or just the tooth. She doesn't have diabetes. Her nose has been dry for a while, and I put coconut oil on it to keep it moist. After the course of antibiotics her nose was wet and cold for one day then went dry again. Which is why I'm hoping that it is just the tooth. If it is not, well I'm really out of options due to cost.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about the position of that lump on her head. While rotten teeth eroding the bone between the mouth and nose can certainly cause bleeds, we can also see this with nasal fungal infections, ulcerated polyps, and tumors cause the same. And if the head lump and the nose bleeds are linked, there is worry that of those differentials a tumor is more likely.

So, it is a difficult situation and with that lump now present there (since under the eye would fit with a tooth root abscess but not where it is), the tooth isn't likely the culprit. Therefore, realistically we'd want to be either xraying (that way we can see what is in the nose, what the mass looks like inside and if it is linked to the nose, and assess the bone between the tooth and nasal passage) or possibly having her vet aspirate a sample of cells from the lump. To keep costs down, they may even be able to check the cells with the practice microscope. And if it is pus, then we are back to abscesses and another antibiotic could be tried. But otherwise they can check for cancer cells and that could give us an answer to what is in the nose as well.

Overall, its a terrible situation and with this suddenly appearing mass alongside her other signs, a tumor invading and destroying the bone in the nasal passage is more likely here. Therefore, we may not get a cure removing that tooth (but if they knock her out to xray they may be able to remove it at the same time) and again I'd be worried its more sinister.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )