Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog has some kind of infection on his gum looks like a

Customer Question

My dog has some kind of infection on his gum looks like a tooth is missing you open his mouth and he yelps he is not eating can I give him anything for pain until my vet opens monday
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Buster 11 yrs old part boxer/lab weighs 85 lbs.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buster?
Customer: No always been good health regular visits to vet every 6 months
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about Buster having pain. The only safe over the counter medications you can give to dogs are Tylenol and aspirin. Tylenol can only be given once or twice; it can cause liver damage. Aspirin can cause stomach irritation and vomiting especially if given on an empty stomach, so I might pick the Tylenol.

For a dog his size, I would give 325 mg aspirin or Tylenol, twice daily. You could start by giving 1/2 this dose to see if it helps and if he tolerates it. The aspirin should be given with food, not on an empty stomach.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

Please let me know if my answer is helpful and what other questions you may have.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He is acting very lethargic not eating but drinking water
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I would be reluctant to give him aspirin, it could make him vomit. You can't give Advil or Aleve to dogs.

If you can't get him to a veterinarian until Monday, I would try 1/2 to 1 regular Tylenol (325 mg) once to twice daily.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

How is Buster doing? I have not heard back from you.

Please let me know if this was helpful and if I can answer any other questions you may have.