Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

My Red Fox Lab has had yeast infections in his ears, on his

Customer Question

My Red Fox Lab has had yeast infections in his ears, on his tail and now on his paws. I've tried everything medication-wise. Now I hear it may be his food? I feed Purina One Chicken and rice.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections Lab can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. How old is Lab?
Customer: He's nine. His Yellow Lab sisters don't have this problem and eat the same food.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lab?
Customer: No. He's gone there since we got him at about 1.5 years old.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

It could be food allergies. But it could also be environmental allergies. Has he had a blood test to see what he is allergic to? Have you tried a hypo-allergenic diet trial yet?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He hasn't had blood work cone, however, our vet has suggested sulfur based shampoo for the external yeast infections on the tail and paws as well as a recent two week course of special Rx liquid ear wash that needs 5 minutes of contact in the ear to be effective. We just completed that ear regimen. But, I have heard that the food he's getting may be the culprit. It's Purina One Chicken and Rice formula...basically freeze-dried Chicken bits and kibble nuggets. He is the only one of my three Labs (All the same age, 9) that is affected this way.

As you know one member of a family can be allergic to something and the others are not. I have fed Purina one before. Are you asking if he could be allergic to an ingredient in it? Chicken is highly allergenic.

Purina one also has corn which is highly allergenic.

So yes it could be the food.

But as I mentioned it could also be environmental allergies. That is what the blood test would rule in or rule out.

An easy way to do a simple food test is to cook for 8 weeks. Pick a protein he has never had before like Venison or rabbit or goat. Boil it until it is cooked through.

Then boil white potato or sweet potato.

Mix together.

Feed one cup per each 10 pounds of dog daily.

Do not add any supplements or vitamins.

Food for 8 weeks.

Or if you do not want to cook you can buy a prescription hypo-allergenic diet from the vet.

Or try "Wellness Limited Ingredient" which you can buy online and at a few pet stores.