Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

==My 13 pound beagle ate 25 fish oil capsules 36 hours ago.

Customer Question

Hello==My 13 pound beagle ate 25 fish oil capsules 36 hours ago. She has vomited 10 times, no bowel movement and she cannot keep any food down. Trying to get her to drink lots of water, Any suggestions?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the beagle will be able to digest that. What is the beagle's name and age?
Customer: Bella, age 5 1/2 years. A pocket beagle. Rare
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?
Customer: She has a lot of allergies--airborne. Allergic to most grasses and weeds here in FL
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Is she drinking? Can she keep water down?

If she can not keep anything down over the counter medications will not help because she would not be able to keep them down. In that case she would need to see the vet for an injection to stop the vomiting.

If she can keep fluids down then I would buy some 10mg Pepcid Ac tablets and a syringe. Crush 1/4 of the tablet and mix it with a little water. Then give it with a syringe. Pepcid is an over the counter human stomach acid reducer but we use it in dogs as well.

You can help her maintain hydration with your syringe and children's pedialyte drink. Put about a teaspoon in the syringe and give it to her every other hour until the vomiting has stopped.

To help keep her blood sugar up, since she is not eating, you can rub honey, karo syrup, or pancake syrup on her gums every 3-4 hours.

Most likely she has not had a bowel movement because her gastrointestinal tract is empty from all the vomiting.

Did all of that make sense to you? Do you have any other questions?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby