Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
97381174

She recently went to vet got her shots rabies shots n ceflex

Customer Question

She recently went to vet got her shots rabies shots n ceflex for Baxter in her ear she pit bull 7. Today she breathes irregular vomited and won't walk
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bull?
Customer: We have pet insurance their Metlife nationwide
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Perry replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand that Baxter vomited and is breathing irregularly. I am sorry to hear about what is happening. Did this start once the Ceflex antibiotic was given?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No she been taking her cephlex for about 5 days for bacteria in her ear

I understand. Did Baxter have any recent changes to her food or did she possibly swallow a foreign object? The Cephlex can cause upset stomach and vomiting, so it is possible this is causing a bit of nausea. However, we may be able to continue taking the antibiotic if the nausea can be treated. Your veterinarian will have stronger medications available, but a good over-the-counter choice will be Pepcid.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
what about charcoal pills & what about her not being able to walk n her breathing

Charcoal pills can be a helpful way to reduce nausea. Also, probiotics can be helpful. For Baxter, you can give half of a dose that you would give for a person. Regarding the difficulty walking and breathing irregularly, I would need to get a little more information. Is she panting? Is she able to move her legs or is she just lethargic and not wanting to move?

It is likely she is feeling tired and possibly dehydrated from the vomiting. If that is the case then we will need to supplement with fluids and Pedialyte can help with that.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
she'kinda panting but her back hips she won't stand she is drinking water

Unless there is a separate neurological problem with her spine she is likely not standing because she is weak. If held up, she should be able to put her feet underneath her body even if she does not support her weight. The legs should still be able to move normally if there is nothing wrong with her spine. Panting is a sign of anxiety or discomfort. In this situation, Baxter is likely feeling uncomfortable for whatever is causing the nausea. Once the nausea is controlled then the panting should stop.

I hope that answers your question. I will remain available in case you have other questions. If you have no other questions then I would appreciate very much a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not her right back leg she can't stand on her own everytimw she takes he pills cephalexin she pukes

The Cephalexin is likely causing the nausea. I would encourage you to talk to your veterinarian about discontinuing this medication because of its likely cause of the vomiting. The first priority is to correct her dehydration and see if that corrects her mobility issue. If not then she will need to get some x-rays performed on her hips and spine. This would be an unrelated issue to the vomiting.

If you have no other questions then I would appreciate very much a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is kindly appreciated.