Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Hour thtowing up with mostly phlem been giving Pedialyte and

Customer Question
hour thtowing up with mostly...
hour thtowing up with mostly phlem been giving Pedialyte and baby cereal
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No but my whole message didnt go threw he is 14 weighs 95lbs was at vet for check up 3 weeks ago no known heart problem can i give mucinex to help with hea vy phlem
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Tuffy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tuffy?
Customer: No
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
He hasnt been eating as much as normal the last couple of days did take his vitiams and glucosamine last night with little bit of food but not drinking as he should but dose alittle but anything that goes down comes back up with alot of thick plem since about 10 last night
7/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now in regards ***** ***** question, we cannot use Mucinex in dogs. Though if he is vomiting (as opposed to coughing), we can try to counter that with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Or if you think Tuffy has throat irritation as well as nausea, we can use a liquid antacid (ie Milk of Magnesia - 0.5tsp every 8-12 hours). Whichever you choose, give it 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down that is usually a red flag for us to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, you can try giving small meals of an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, we usually feed this until they settle and then wean slowly back to what you normally feed.

Furthermore, if he sounds congested at all (if he has possible aspirated vomit and that is causing phlegm), you can try some decongesting home care options. To start, you can steam treat him. To do so, take him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting him. You can also use a baby nebulizer/humidifier for this. As well, if he is building up mucus that the steam isn't shifting, you can use non-medicated saline nasal drops (ie Little Noses, Ocean Mist) to further reduce discharge build up. To do so, just tilt his head back and drop 2-3 drops in one nostril. They dislike this, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.

Overall, his signs do raise a few concerns for us but if he cannot keep food then the phlegm is likely secondary to the nausea. Therefore, GI upset from gut infections, pancreatitis, dietary indiscretion or foreign bodies is more likely. So, as long as you don't think he ate anything toxic or harmful, you can start the above to try to settle this for Tuffy. Though if he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, check for fever, ensure nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be, or any sinister infections present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to get him settled and back to feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian