Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

He threw up foam last night and early this morning he has

Customer Question
He threw up white foam...
He threw up white foam last night and early this morning he has had watery diarrhea twice and it looks like blood
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: He's an outside dog so it may be possible
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He found us so I'm not sure how old he is we call him boy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He is still walking and wagging his tail
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am very sorry to hear about your fellow's vomiting episodes and now loose stools now with blood.

Of course anyone would be concerned about blood in the stool. The fresher the blood appears the closer the source is to his rectum.

The important factor in all of this is how he feels. I am glad to hear that he is still wagging his tail, but my concern is that he started with vomiting too, so he is sicker and bears much closer watching/care.

There is a condition in dogs called hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. These dogs have profuse dark, jelly-clot like, bloody diarrhea. They are very sick dogs and get dehydrated quickly so they need immediate care. Thus if he seems to get lethargic too and/or begins vomiting again or seems nauseous (lip licking, refusing to drink water, gagging) an emergency veterinary visit is best.

But colitis or inflammation of the large intestine, can be due to stress, a quick change in diet, parasites, a viral or bacterial infection, inflammatory bowel disease or even a food allergy. Rarely a mass in the colon can be the cause, or exposure to anticoagulant rodenticides.

A raw, irritated colon can take a few days to heal. The bleeding should clear completely with treatment over the next 2 to 3 days. If not he should be checked by his regular veterinarian. Well worth checking at least a couple fresh stool samples too even if he seems to improve as parasites are a possibility and their eggs/cysts are shed intermittently so they may be picked up on the second sample or third test even if the first is negative.

If he seems pretty active and is able to hold down water now though we can try some things at home.

To try and settle his stomach today you can give either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and should help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation. They can be given for several days if need be.

I would not feed him any food for 24 hours after the acid reducers are started. This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility. Small amounts of water or ice cubes given frequently are fine as he needs fluids after all that he has lost with vomiting and bloody stools. You can give him pedialyte to replace electrolytes too but Gatorade is much too high in sugar which can make his colon irritation worse.

Today even with the fast you can start Kao-pectate at 1/2ml per pound or 1/2 tablespoon per 15 pounds of body weight every 8 hours. This will coat his irritated gi tract as well as absorbing bacterial toxins. You can find kao-pectate at the drug store.

If he has a tense painful abdomen, continues to have diarrhea after being on kao pectate for 24 hours, becomes very lethargic, begins vomiting again or runs a fever greater than 103.5F then he really must be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. Make sure to take a fresh stool sample with you when you go.

After his food fast start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white skinless chicken), all fats and juices drained off, mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day. You might wish to add 1-2 tablespoon of canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just canned pumpkin) to each meal as fiber helps soothe an irritated colon. I recommend adding probiotics like Fortiflora, Proviable or Benebac to his meals daily to re-establish normal gut bacteria levels too.

Once he feels better (no bloody diarrhea for 48 hours) start mixing in his regular dog food very slowly. Less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert him back.

If your pup is continuing to vomit and feeling poorly though it would be best that he see a veterinarian now as anything you give orally will just come back up worsening his dehydration.

Best of luck with your pup, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian