Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 7month old Foxy chewed up/opened up a thermal care heat

Customer Question

My 7month old Foxy Russell chewed up/opened up a thermal care heat wrap. I'm not sure if he ate any of the inside contents but it looked like broken up coffee pellets all over the rug
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A Foxy Russell puppy
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the puppy's name?
Customer: Gambino "Bino" for short
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bino for short?
Customer: He's about 12 lbs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Does it look like most of it is on the floor?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It happened about 20 minutes ago.Gums pink and moistBelly ok.He's resting on my bed now
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again,

Now we do need to tread with care for Bino as the 'heat cells' in Thermacare contain activated charcoal, iron powder, sodium chloride, sodium thiosulfate and water. Most of those re no worry but the iron can be since it can damage the stomach and intestinal lining leading to bloody diarrhea, belly cramps and vomiting. It can also cause severe liver and heart damage.

With this all in mind, if you don't think he has had much, you could choose to monitor with a view to having him seen urgently if he develops lethargy, drowsiness, vomiting, and bloody diarrhea. Or we can err on the sight of caution since he only just had this. For that, we can induce vomiting to get as much back up as possible. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

Finally, after the above or if you were to monitor, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any nausea, we can also treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, the iron in these can be risky but it is dose dependant. So, if you don't think he had much we can monitor and offset GI upset. But if you want to be careful or think he did have quite a bit, then the above would be ideal to get this up and out of the stomach just now.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.