Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I woke up to her coughing/choking with foam in her mouth and

Customer Question

I woke up to her coughing/choking with foam in her mouth and snot dripping from her nose. She ran outside and has calmed down since she came back in. I cleaned her up and now she is sleeping. She got into a small amount of thai food last night and I found a corn dog wrapper on the floor this morning so I am worried she may have gotten the stick stuck in her throat.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had these signs?

Has she been able to eat or drink? Can she keep those down?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I woke up to her pacing and there was dips of drool through the house so probably about a 30-45 minute episode. She has stopped now and has been resting and calm for about an hour with no foaming or coughing.She doesn't normally eat this time of day and she hasn't attempted to so I'm don't know.She was fetching, gagging and vomited small amounts of white foam and yellow liquid.Her gums are pink and moist.No pain or tenderness when I pressed on her belly.Breath rate of 30 (5 breathes in 10 seconds)
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again,

Now I am glad to hear that she hasn't any of those urgent signs as they make a throat or gut blockage less likely here.

Though if we have coughing and gagging of foam, its quite possible that something she ate has inflamed her throat. Else we could also see these signs with non-related bacterial upper airway infections (ie kennel cough), parainfluenza and bacterial tracheitis. As well, but hopefully less likely with her sudden onset, we can see coughing with lung disease, and associated with some respiratory parasites (ie lungworm, heartworm).

With all of this in mind, we do need to monitor her closely. If her signs are mild at this point, you can try a mild cough suppressant like glycerin/honey cough syrup (with no drugs in it) or even plain honey. Both can be very soothing to the irritated and tickly throat. Typically we will give a 1-2 milliliter (~1/4-1/2 teaspoon) as needed. Alternatively, you can try Robitussin DM with her. I would just say to make sure to use this preparation and avoid any similar syrups that may contain other medications like Paracetamol, Acetaminophen, Pseudoephedrine, Phenylephrine or caffeine (since these can be toxic). If it also contains Guaifenesin that is okay. Dose-wise, we tend to give this as 1/2 (half) teaspoon per 10lbs of the dog's body weight every 8-12 hours. Or if you think she has nausea, use a liquid antacid (ie Milk of Magnesia - 0.5tsp every 8-12 hours) as that will coat the throat and reduce nausea at the same time. Furthermore, consider soaking her kibble or offering soft foods may also help reduce her signs.

Overall, if her signs are sudden in appearance, then the a bit of throat irritation possibly from something she ate and our infectious causes would be most likely here. So, since she hasn't obvious signs of a blockage, you can soothe her throat with the above. That said, if she doesn't settle within a day or so, then it'd be advisable to have her checked by her vet. They can confirm if a bacterial or viral infection is suspect and address infectious cases with antibiotics if need be to get her settled.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She's great, I think she got into some spicy food and that caused her reaction. All good now.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

You are very welcome and thank you for the update.

I am glad to hear all is well. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

*********************************************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**