Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She is restless, shaking head, and licking at her paws. I

Customer Question
can tell she is very...
She is restless, shaking head, and licking at her paws. I can tell she is very uncomfortable. I don't know if this is an emergency or if I can see a Vet when they open.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Macey and she is a year old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Macey?
Customer: Yesterday my older dog had a tick removed and is being tried for ticks and fleas. Is this just fleas?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had these signs?

Is she shaking her head like her ears are bothering her? Or do you mean she is tremoring with her head?

Ant odor, discharge or redness in her ears?

Any discomfort in her mouth or paling(white) gums?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie drugs, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

She woke me up to her head shaking. She is restless and shakes head frequently.
and biting at her paws. These symptoms just started. I don't see any discharge in the ears. She did have small amount of emesis. I don't think she could have eaten anything harmful. Breathing rate is about 48. No discomfort in her mouth.

Hello again,

Now I have to say to see head shaking (not tremors) and paw biting makes me most suspicious of an allergic reaction for Macey. It could be a insect sting or reaction to something she ate in the past 24 hours. Just to note, any of these could also cause nausea/vomiting too. And as this will be distressing, as long as those gums are pink, we'd assume the panting is from that.

With this in mind, we can start some supportive care to see if we can get Macey more settled. To do so, if her ears are irritated, then you can try gently flushing the ear with luke warm salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) to soothe this, remove any irritants and also bacterial/yeast. As well, to counter our allergy concern you can try an OTC antihistamine.Most often we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every 8-12 hours) or Cetirizine (ie. 0.5 mg per pound of their body weight every 12-24 hours). We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness. Of course, check with your vet first if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications.

Any more nausea and you could also try an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac) for that. Of course, if she is too nauseous for the above, has pale/white gums, or we don't see her settle with these in a few hours; then we'd want a check with the local vet for injectable anti-inflammatories +/- anti-nausea medication.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian