Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

Why is my Border collie not responding to the citronella

Customer Question

Why is my Border collie not responding to the citronella collar for his constant barking.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your Border collie?
Customer: He barks continually and people complain about it.
JA: Where does your Border collie seem to hurt?
Customer: He is not hurt, he is 12 years old and seeks attention
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the Border collie's name?
Customer: buddy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about buddy?
Customer: He is a very social dog but has been allowed to do this from puppy stage I have him now from my granddaughter.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sally G. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

Many dogs do not respond to the collars so that is not unusual. Dogs that do not respond to the collars sometimes respond to a noise activated device that you can place in any room of the house. This device is also made for the outside if that is where the problem is. The device is called a barker breaker. When the dog barks too much the barker breaker makes a high pitched noise that a dog usually does not like. You can find it on amazon or in pet stores. Save the wrapping because if it does not work for your dog you can return it. Usually you will know in one to two weeks if it is effective.

Keep in mind that this breed was bred to herd and with that comes a barking instinct as well.

It is better to teach the dog another way to behave to get a desired result. For barking dogs, there are a few commands you want to teach. You want to teach the dog the difference between speak and quiet so it understands what each command means. Some owners will just yell quiet or stop , but this is just an interrupter of the behavior , the dog really has no idea what you want from it. When the owner does this, the dog just thinks they are joining in with their barking, and thus the dog barks again.

You also have to look at the reason for barking. You said he does it for attention. IF this is true what attention does it yield him? Take a look at your reaction to his barking as you may be encouraging the barking. For instance, if you yell at the dog , that is attention.

If the dog is barking to the point of annoying neighbors then it could be due to boredom, or separation anxiety.

If he is barking when in the yard, then it may be his herding instinct kicking in.

All of the above is usually curtailed though training daily, several times a day, in short 10 minute sessions. This takes away the boredom and teaches the dog what you expect from it.

Mind simulating toys can also help if this is due to boredom. The buster cube, dog puzzles, Kongs are all made to stimulate the brain.

I am going to put training links below so you can start working with the dog. Given the dogs age some of the devices such as the spray collars may not work as everything becomes altered as living beings age. The smell of the spray may not be detected well with the sensory of smell depleting.

Clicker training/positive method training/ print off

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

video’s to see how clicker training is done,(go to videos )

http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm

training Speak & Quiet

http://www.dogskool.com/web/news/summer2002/page3.html

** http://petcaretips.net/teach-dog-stay-quiet.html