Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

13w viszla that came in a week ago has developed lumps on

Customer Question

Hi, 13w viszla that came in a week ago has developed lumps on his head and back and ears
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the Vizsla's name and age?
Customer: Jacat officially and we call him jigy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Vizsla?
Customer: 13 week
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he been showing these signs?

Do the lumps look flesh colored or white toped like pimples?

Any diet change in the 2 months before this started?

What flea treatment did you use? When did you last apply it?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Pup is 13 week, no flies treatment so far , they got in Just a week ago, it is all new to them. Climate, environment , the food
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The lumps ar currently covered with hair.. only on ears has white dry thiny spots like dry skin
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again,

Now given the appearance of these lumps and the way they are raising the hair, this actually looks like a mild case of hives. Therefore, we may have an allergic reaction to something he has been in contact with (ie bees, products used at home) or a reaction to the diet. Though if this these are crusty at all, then a mild bacterial infection would also be a concern.

Therefore, with this all in mind, we can start some supportive care. To start, you may want to ring his breeder to see what was fed and offer that for the next few weeks .That way we can just determine if we have a diet allergy. As we do that, we can try to counter this suspect allergy with an OTC antihistamine. Most often we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every 8-12 hours) or Cetirizine (ie. 0.5 mg per pound of their body weight every 12-24 hours). We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness. Of course, check with your vet first if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications. Furthermore, we can also start topical care for any bacterial concerns. To do so, you can start by cleaning this 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream on any lumps/lesions. If it is very itchy, we could also use hydrocortisone cream. The former can help keep infection away and the latter can reduce inflammation and itchiness. Of course, if we use these but they linger, then we'd want a check with his vet to confirm our suspicions, double check we don't have any fungal issues (less likely without hair loss and circular lesions), and have them start a stronger anti-inflammatory if needed to nip this in the bud.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**